Homemade vegetable broth is the best option for minimizing the sodium content in this delicate, flavourful soup. However, if you prefer to use store-bought broth, choose organic, which is lower in sodium.
Portion size: 4 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced cremini mushrooms (about 115 g)
- 1 sweet potato (about 340 g) peeled and diced
- 2 cups homemade vegetable broth or organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups stemmed kale thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potato, 3 cups water, broth, quinoa, pepper and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until quinoa is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in kale; cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
Credits: Canadian Living Magazine: November 2013