I usually double or even triple the meatball recipe. And then freeze them in separate baggies. This way, whenever I want the soup – the hard part is done already.
1 small onion, grated
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 large egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread
torn into small pieces
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
8 ounces ground beef
8 ounces ground pork
Freshly ground black pepper
12 cups low-sodium chicken broth (I used my own veggie broth)
1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped (1 pound of escarole would be a good
substitution) (I didn’t make it with this last time I made it.) I’d say it can be optional
2 large eggs
2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan, plus
extra for garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the meatballs: Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend.
- Stir in the cheese, beef and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend.
- Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
- Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Total: 35 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 20 min
Yield: 8 servings