Make sure you really squeeze out the water from the zucchini. I usually wrap the shredded zucchini in a dish cloth and squeeze. And I also shred my zucchini in the food processor.
They are tasty though!
- 2 small zucchini
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar , preferably old
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1 egg white
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise , preferably light
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard , preferably grainy
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Do not peel zucchini. Coarsely grate. Spread out over paper towels. Top with more paper towel. Press to remove excess water. Turn into a large bowl. (wrap in a dishtowel and squeeze excess water).
- Sprinkle with cornstarch. Toss to mix. Add cheese and onions. Stir to mix. Whisk egg white, then stir into zucchini mixture along with generous pinches of salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Scoop about ¼ cup (50 mL) mixture onto baking sheet, then gently press down. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until fritters start to firm up and are golden on the bottom, about 20 mins.
- Turn fritters carefully; they will be soft at this stage.
- Continue to bake until set and a deep golden on both sides, about 15 more min.
- Let stand a couple of minutes to firm up before serving. Meanwhile, squeeze 1 tbsp (15 mL) juice from lemon into a small bowl.
- Stir in mayo and mustard.
- Serve fritters with a dollop of sauce.