I don’t even know who I can compliment on this recipe. I’ve been baking this for over 27 years. Julian absolutely loves this.
The most tedious thing in this whole recipe is “sifting” the flour 3 times. Honestly. Once that is done, in just over an hour you will have 2 beautiful banana bread loaves.
Give them a try – let me know what you and your family think.
This recipe is adapted from Lidia’s Favourite Recipes – by Lidia Matichio Bastianich
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of butter (room temperature)
- 6 ripe bananas – mashed (3 cups) – sometimes I use more, sometimes I use less 🙂
- 4 eggs well beaten
- 2 ½ cups of cake and pastry flour
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- I always start this recipe by measuring out the cake and pastry flour, baking soda and salt and sifting it 3 times. Don’t miss this step. Sift it 3 times. Then make sure your butter and your eggs are at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350. With electric beater, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides, add bananas and eggs and beat until well mixed.Blend with banana mixture until well combined – but do not overmix.
- Pour into 2 lightly greased loaf pans. (They will also make 3 sized of the take out mini loaf disposable pans. Don’t forget to grease them)
- Bake for about 45mins -1 hour – the 2 loaf pans take closer to an hour to bake completely through. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick to see if it comes out dry.
- Cool on rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
These freeze beautifully! I usually eat one, freeze one. You can add chocolate chips, nuts, or leave it as is.I’ve also added vanilla into the mix.
Be creative. It’s all good 🙂